Letter Writing Campaign – Refugee Week
Refugee Week 2020 is 14-20 June.
The theme of Refugee Week 2020 is Year of Welcome.
As part of a nationwide effort by the Australian Refugee Action Network, we are asking everyone to write two brief letters this week.
1. to members of Parliament, of whatever political persuasion, who have spoken out in favour of more humane refugee policy, thanking them for taking a stand and fighting for what is right.
One person who especially comes to mind is Independent email@example.com, who has been a strong and active advocate for many years. Some others are Liberal Russell.Broadbent.MP@aph.gov.au, ALPa firstname.lastname@example.org, ALP Anne.Aly.email@example.com, and ALP Ged.Kearney.MP@aph.gov.au
2. to your local representatives in the Federal Parliament, in both House and Senate, pointing out what Australian refugee policy has achieved in the past, and can do again. (See attached for MP’s contact details)
- We can give protection to people who need safety.
- We can welcome and support them in the Australian community while their claims are resolved.
- We can give permanent protection visas and allow refugees to become the productive Australian citizens they wish to be.
- We can change the policies now.
And then please combine the contents of the two letters, and submit it as a letter to the editor. (see attached for contact details for newspapers).
‘Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.’ Margaret Mead